Banana muffins are an easy and tasty way to use up bananas that are getting a little too ripe, and a great alternative to other sweet treats for kids. This simple recipe is based off this one, with some essential changes and additions that make all the difference when it comes to flavor.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas (depending on size)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled a bit
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, mash the bananas. Add egg, butter and vanilla; mix well. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full.
- Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.